From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Brockway Motor Company was a builder of custom heavy-duty trucks in Cortland, New York from 1912 to 1977. It was founded as Brockway Carriage Works in 1875 by William Brockway. His son George Brockway later turned the carriages into a truck manufacturer in 1909.
During World War II Brockway manufactured G547 and G690 6-ton 6×6 bridging trucks, part of a standard design series also built by Corbitt and White. G547 "Treadway" trucks had a large hoist on the rear for self-unloading, while the G690 chassis were fitted with "Quickway" cranes, also used in bridging operations.
All 6-ton military trucks (of all manufacturers) had Hercules HXD 855 cu in (14.0 L) I6 gasoline engines, developing 202 hp (151 kW) at 2150 rpm and 642 lbf·ft (870 N·m) of torque at 900 rpm.
Brockway commercial trucks primarily used Cummins engines, though many were powered by Detroit Diesels. Some Brockway trucks were equipped with inline six engines fitted with Rochester 2G (DualJet) carburetors.
There is a Brockway Truck show in Cortland each year with many events occurring at the official Brockway Museum located in Homer, NY at the Central New York Living History Center.
A documentary about the trucks and the Brockway company is available from Wiffle Ball Productions in Cortland, New York.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brockway vehicles.|
|This article about an automotive industry corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|