From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The Bowery Mission is a rescue mission located at 227 Bowery between Rivington and Stanton Streets in the Bowery neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It provides food, shelter, medical services and employment assistance to poor homeless men. The Mission was founded in 1879 by the Reverend Albert Gleason Ruliffson and his wife. It was the third rescue mission established in the United States, and the second in New York City.
In 1895 the Mission was bought by Dr. Louis Klopsch, owner of the The Christian Herald, to save it from economic distress; he also bought the building it was in, which up to that time had been leased. Klopsch became the president, and the Mission was formally incorporated in 1897. One prominent board member was Sarah J. Bird, a philanthropist who was known as "the Mother of the Bowery Mission" due to her long-time service to the organization from 1881 to 1914. Supervision of the Mission went to John Greener Hallimond, originally from England, who introduced many innovative services, such as a home for women in Brooklyn, an employment agency and a breadline, which began in 1902. With money leftover from a food drive, Klopsch created a "Fresh Air Home" in Nyack, New York to get inner-city children into the countryside during the summer.
The mission began in a small room at 14 Bowery, where it offered prayer services, and moved to 36 Bowery in 1880. In 1887 it moved to 105 Bowery until that building was destroyed by fire in 1898, at which time they moved to 55 Bowery. When that building was scheduled to be demolished to make way for the approaches to the Manhattan Bridge, the mission moved to its current location at 227 Bowery. Today, the Mission also owns the building next door at 229 Bowery.
The Mission's building at 227 Bowery was designated a New York City landmark on June 26, 2012. It was built in 1876 for James Stolts, an undertaker and manufacturer of coffins, and was designed by William Jose in the neo-Grec style. It was altered in 1908-09 for the Mission's use by Marshall L. and Henry G. Emery, who added the stained-glass windows on the second floor and remodeled the interior of that floor into a chapel in the Gothic Revival style.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Bowery Mission|