From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Avon is a former unincorporated community in Polk County, Iowa, United States. Avon was later annexed into the city of Des Moines. It is located near the junction of U.S. Route 65 and East Army Post Road, northwest of Avon Lake and in the southeast portion of Des Moines, at 41.528636N -93.5248089W.
The original townsite of Avon was platted by Charles Keeney in 1855. Nearby Avon Lake, one mile southeast, was founded when the railroad bypassed Avon. The first schoolhouse in the area was built in 1856.
Coordinates: 41°31′43″N 93°31′24″W / 41.52861°N 93.52333°W / 41.52861; -93.52333