An arthropathy is a disease of a joint.
Arthritis is a form of arthropathy that involves inflammation of one or more joints, while the term arthropathy may be used regardless of whether there is inflammation or not.
Spondylarthropathy is any form of arthropathy of the vertebral column.
Arthropathy may also include joint conditions caused by physical trauma to joints, but is traditionally used to describe the following conditions:
- Crystal arthropathy (also known as crystal arthritis) (M10-M11) involves the deposition of crystals in the joint.
- ^ "arthropathy" at Dorland's Medical Dictionary
- ^ thefreedictionary.com > arthritis in turn citing:
- The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright 2000
- The American Heritage Science Dictionary Copyright 2005
- ^ arthritis. CollinsDictionary.com. Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 11th Edition. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- ^ thefreedictionary.com/spondyloarthropathy citing:
- Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009
- Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003
- Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007