The Art Institute of Atlanta was founded in 1949 as Massey Business College, with diploma programs in basic business and secretarial skills. The school added liberal arts, fashion, and interior design during the next two decades. After becoming The Art Institute of Atlanta in 1975, the college shifted its focus to a creative applied arts curriculum. Accreditation by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools soon followed. In 1999, the college moved to its current location; a 5-story building in Sandy Springs and has since expanded to a second building across the street. In 2004, the school added Audio Production to their growing list of programs. The newest program, Fashion & Retail Management, was added in January 2007.
AiAtlanta is currently located at 6600 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd. in Atlanta, Georgia. The student body is numbers 3,335 as of Fall 2010.