Altwiller is located some 20 km south of Sarreguemines on the German border and some 50 km north-east of Nancy. The commune is accessed by the D23 road running east from Vibersviller to the village then continuing east to Harskirchen. The D153 road also runs through the southern portion of the commune as it runs from the D39 road in the south-west north-east to Harskirchen. The western and northern borders of the commune are also the borders between the Bas-Rhin and Moselle departments. As well as Altwiller village there is also the hamlet of Chateau Bonnefontaine in the south of the commune.
The Canal des Houllietes de la Satre passes along the southern border of the commune. The La Rose stream passes near the village flowing west from Moselle to the Albe river partly forming the northern border of the commune. The northern part of the commune is farmland while the southern part is mainly forested.
Fragments of vases and other Gallo-Roman pieces have been found at Bonnefontaine. The site is located on the salt route. In addition to the two annexes of Neuweyershof and the Bonnefontaine domain the village had in its vicinity a hamlet called Honkesen-Huntzen which has now disappeared.
Altwiller was deserted in the 15th century and rebuilt a little later in 1559 mainly by Huguenots from Lorraine. It was partially destroyed again in 1635 by the Croatians then became the property of Sarrewerden then of Nassau-Saarbrücken with the capital of the Bailiwick of Harskirchen. The village returned to France in 1793.
Blazon: Azure, a lion party per fess Or and Argent..
List of Successive Mayors of Altwiller
Brigadier-General, Legion of Honour, Commander of National Order of Merit
In 2009, the commune had 422 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1][Note 2]
The grist mill was run from the end of the 17th to the 20th century by a single family of millers.
The mineral water spring discovered in 1603 was appetizing, diuretic and purgative. This gave the idea in 1816 to a banker from Basel to build a thermal spa with castle, park and dance hall. The castle was built between 1818 and 1822 but the operation of the station due to lack of customers ended in failure. He sold the estate in 1836. The latest occupants of the castle are the Schlumberger family - owners since 1878
^At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
^In the census table and the graph, by convention in Wikipedia, and to allow a fair comparison between five yearly censuses, the principle has been retained for subsequent legal populations since 1999 displayed in the census table and the graph that shows populations for the years 2006, 2011, 2016, etc.. , as well as the latest legal population published by INSEE