Territory of Alabama (sometimes Alabama Territory) was an organized incorporated territory of the United States. The Alabama Territory was carved from the Mississippi Territory on August 15, 1817; lasting until December 14, 1819, when it was admitted to the Union as the twenty second state. History [edit ]
The Alabama Territory
was designated by an Act of Congress on March 3, 1817, but it did not become effective until August 15, 1817. [n] [1 ] [2 ] The delay was due to a provision in the Congressional Act which stated that the act would take effect only if and when the western part of the Mississippi Territory were to create a state constitution on the road to statehood. That event took place in August 1817, [3 ] with the [1 ] Mississippi Territory becoming a state on December 10, 1817. Location [edit ]
Located in the central area of the Alabama Territory,
St. Stephens, on the Tombigbee River, was the only territorial capital. William Wyatt Bibb was the only territorial governor.
On December 14, 1819,
Alabama was admitted to the union as the 22nd U.S. state, with Bibb becoming the first state governor (1819–1820). [2 ] Territorial evolution of Alabama [edit ] Territories of Spain that would later become part of the Territory of Alabama: Possession of Great Britain that would later become part of the Territory of Alabama: U.S. states that ceded territorial claims that would later become part of the Territory of Alabama: U.S. territory with land that would later become part of the Territory of Alabama: U.S. state created from the Territory of Alabama: See also [edit ] Notes [edit ]
[n] - Name "Territory of Alabama" was often used in the time period, rather than "Alabama Territory". References [edit ] ^ a b c d "An 1820 Claim to Congress: Alabama Territory: 1817"; The Intruders; TNGenNet Inc.; 2001; quick webpage: TN-537 ^ a b "Timeline 1811-1820" (events +sources); Algis Ratnikas; "Timelines of History"; 2007; webpage: TimeLine Miss ^ "Statehood Dates"; 50states.com; 1998/2009; webpage: 50s-statehood External links [edit ] Coordinates: 32°39′28.35″N 86°47′31.17″W / 32.6578750°N 86.7919917°W