The Carrollton Short Line Railway was chartered in 1897. By 1906, when its name was changed to Alabama, Tennessee and Northern Railroad (AT&N), it had built a line from Reform, Alabama through Carrollton to Aliceville and was pushing slowly down the western edge of Alabama toward the Gulf of Mexico. The company underwent foreclosure and reorganization in 1918, and by 1920 the railroad reached south to Calvert, Alabama, where the Southern Railway offered a connection to Mobile.
Burdened by the enormous volume of wartime traffic moving through the Port of Mobile, AT&N obtained War Production Board clearance for diesel locomotive purchases. Eleven ALCO RS-1s and two small General Electricswitchers allowed the railroad to completely dieselize by 1946, one of the first railroads its size to do so. AT&N's finances were again reorganized in October 1944. On December 28, 1948, Frisco purchased 97.2% of AT&N's common stock (later increasing its holdings to 100%) and unified AT&N's operations with its own. The AT&N was officially merged with the Frisco on January 1, 1971. Frisco itself became part of Burlington Northern Railroad on September 21, 1980.