From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Founded in 1947 by Arthur Edward Imperatore, Sr. and his brothers Eugene, Arnold, George and Harold in West New York, NJ. It started as a local trucking business with a single surplus US Army truck. Originally called "Imperatore Bros. Moving and Trucking." Later that same year they bought a second surplus truck, and then the name and two trucks of A&P Trucking Corp. for $800 from Albert Amorino also of West New York. In the 1950s, after a few years of legal wranging over the name by the A&P grocery chain, they simply added a trailing A.
In 1952 they built a new terminus at 88th Street and Tonnelle Ave in North Bergen and by 1958 the company surpassed $1 million in gross revenue. Eventually Arthur bought out all the other brothers in the business. The company enjoyed great success, growing to more than 3,500 tractor-trailers and operating 31 freight terminals by 1991. A inside employee joke stated that A-P-A stood for "Always Please Arthur."
By 2001 it had fallen to 38th place, and finally closed its doors in February 2002.