The 5th Panzer Division of the German Army was formed on 24 November 1938 in Opole and dissolved on 8 May 1945. It fought in Poland, France, the Balkans and in Russia; first as part of Army Group Centre (1941–44) and then Army Group North. The division surrendered to the Russians in Gdańsk on 16 April 1945.
1 Knight's Cross with Panzer-Regiment 3 (2nd Panzer Division), Swords with the XXXIX. Panzerkorps2 Knight's Cross with Panzer-Regiment 23 3 Knight's Cross with Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 7, Oak Leaves with Kradschützen-Bataillon 64