From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
|441 Silver Fox Squadron|
|Aircraft flown||Supermarine Spitfire, North American P-51 Mustang, de Havilland Vampire, Canadair Sabre, Canadair CF-104 Starfighter, McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet|
|Wing||4 Wing Cold Lake|
|Base||CFB Cold Lake|
|Motto||STALK AND KILL|
|Date founded||April 1942|
|Badge||Silver Fox facing|
|Notable Battle Honours||Defence of Britain 1945, Fortress Europe 1944, Normandy, France and Germany 1944-45, Arnhem, Walcheren, Kosovo|
|Previous Designation||125 Squadron|
441 Tactical Fighter Squadron (441 TFS) was a unit of the Canadian Forces. It was originally formed as a unit of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) during the Second World War. The squadron operated the McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet fighter jet from CFB Cold Lake in Alberta, Canada. It was deactivated in 2006.
No. 125 (Fighter) Squadron was formed on April 20, 1942 at Sydney, Nova Scotia and flew Hurricanes as part of Eastern Air Command. It was renumbered No. 441 Fighter Squadron when it transferred overseas to Digby, Lincolnshire, England on February 8, 1944. It was based in England, France, and Belgium throughout the Second World War. When the squadron returned to England it was disbanded on August 7, 1945. 441 Squadron reformed at RCAF Station St. Hubert on March 1, 1951 and went to 1 wing, then located at RAF North Luffenham on February 13, 1952. The squadron was temporarily situated at 3 Wing Zweibrücken on December 21, 1954 before moving to their intended destination, RCAF Station Marville, France. They were deactivated on September 1, 1963 at Marville and then reactivated as 441 Strike/Attack squadron on September 15, 1963, then moved with 1 Wing to Canadian Forces Base Lahr in April 1967. In 1971 the squadron moved to CFB Baden-Soellingen and changed its name to 441 Tactical Fighter Squadron. They disbanded again in 1986 and then finally reformed at 4 Wing Cold Lake on June 26, 1986.
On July 6, 2006, 441 Squadron was once again stood down, and its crew amalgamating with 416 Tactical Fighter Squadron at CFB Cold Lake and re-formed as 409 Tactical Fighter Squadron. The squadron's colours and battle honours were placed in Sydney, Nova Scotia, where it first operated.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: 441 Squadron RCAF|